Sunday, June 10, 2007

What- No more Thongs?


Well, it is official- I can't stop calling flip flops- thongs. Who stole the thong name from us and decided to give it to underwear? Who? A few years ago Craig called some girl in our ward to go get her "thongs" so she wouldn't forget them- she replied embarrassed- "Brother Streiff you can't call them thongs, they're flip flops." However, to us, they remain thongs.

El got his first good pair of thongs. So far so good. Today was a good thong day- he decided they were squishy so they were cool by him.
(Yes, I giggle as I now imagine Elliott getting his first "good pair" of thong underwear. I shall try and call them flip flops.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In Spanish there are these verbs that they call "boot" verbs because of the way you conjugation them, but in the past tense it changes and I told my students to think of them as "thongs" they couldn't believe it that I had said thongs, and I didn't see what I had done wrong at first. I agree with you that they shouldn't have stolen the word! I have a hard time calling them flip flops too! Lainey loves her's, the Old Navy ones see, to last and stay on her feet well.