Saturday, November 08, 2008

Can't help myself- A change is a coming-

Thanks Lindseys!

This is the change I believe we'll be seeing...

Try not to make more than $250,000 (or $150,000)
Don't have any major medical problems
Hide your guns
Work harder
Get used to being called a racist
Get used to paying more while getting less
Enjoy kissing the rear ends of terrorists
Don't have any dreams
Be O.K with murdering innocent babies and killers being set free
Love your government controlling everything you do
Enjoy living in a democratic republic
Love living in a socialist republic
Get your food storage ready!

I hope for the sake of everyone- this will all turn out to be wrong.

14 comments:

Potters said...

It will turn out fine you two...he first has to clean up the mess Bush made before he even gets to his agenda...but I do hope he cleans it up quickly so he can.

I do know that awful feeling of having your candidate lose and the fear that can set in. We experienced that twice and it was really terrifying.

Honestly Craig and Carly our fundamental ideologies are so completely different and it is difficult for me to understand the fears associated with Obama. Perhaps Serena and I have had different experiences from you two that have shaped our understanding of role of the government in individual lives. I will never make as much money as you Criag so I don't share the fear of not making $250k and paying more taxes. I don't know if either of you have been on welfare or unemployment and have had the need for the government to assist you as we have had in the past. I don't know if either of you had worked two jobs but could still not afford health insurance for your kids. It is absolutely frightening. I don't think student loans were ever an issue or that you have had to struggle to pay your bills and make sure there is food on the table for your family. We have and it is horrifying when things come up short. The church doesn't alway help...some bishops tell you they won't help...and that is gut wrenching I can tell you. So in my opinion there is a role for the government in our lives...for some of us it has helped us fulfil our dreams...it has allowed us to have food storage, to find good a job and have health insurance (though it costs too much and doesn't cover enough). I just happen to think that the government can and should help a little bit more. Trickle down economics doesn't help all of us and those it doesn't assist we should...it is the Christlike thing to do. Will there be people who take advantage of the system? Of course, but there are undoubtedly those, like Serena and I, who really needed government assistance and I think it is important. Overall I welcome Obama's change and I understand that it may affect you differently than me, but I think they will really benefit the country.

Anyhow, the leaves continue to change up here on the mountain and are now littering our lawn...hopefully we will see you some day.

Franz

Shelly said...

And thank goodness a change is coming!!

Max and Diana Brown said...

I hope your post is wong too!! I think that our future is a really bumpy road.

ede said...

I agree with you Carly.
Thanks for putting it in writing.

Anonymous said...

Potters:

Do you even know Craig and Carly? Wow...you made some pretty personal attacks on them. They may not have had the same experiences you have...but that doesn't mean they don't have struggles of their own that effect them financially. Perhaps the phrase "walk a mile in their shoes" might apply to you, sir?

There is plenty of information...and an overwhelming lack of information...about Obama to be plenty scared.

And are you seriously going to say that becoming more socialist is the "Christlike" thing to do. The people in government (oh...and Obama too) have tried to take Christ out of government, it's decisions, and morality. Heck...people in the state of California are trying to remove religion completely. So please don't use that as an argument for government.

And bagging on the Church and bishops isn't exactly a point in your court either.

And to think there might be a few people taking advantage of the "system" is an understatement. Am I to assume you don't live in Caliofornia (where on top of the highest income taxes, gas tax, car tax, sales tax) you are unaware of the millions of people taking advantage of a very broken system here. You think that's going to get any better??? How do you think the health care crisis got so bad?

And yes, the circumstances you described are certainly frightening. If you don't think I'm somone whose experienced any of those things...let's have a chat sometimes...I could talk to you for hours about health insurance alone.

Obviously there are circumstances when people are in serious need of help. But a permanent system that punishes getting ahead is scary. You should be scared of that too.

Potters said...

Oh anonymous no need to be rude, but too late for that. How dare you judge me! I wasn't judging my friends, I expressed my different opinion. Gosh that must be new to you. Yes, I do know Craig and Carly... I grew up with Craig and have been his friend for over 20 years...like I need to even tell you this! Craig and I have different opinions on Obama...so what? My experience is different from his...so what? My comments were not a personal attack on them... you must be kidding! I was just pointing out that our life experiences have given us distinctly different political outlooks. Your comments were certainly a personal attack on someone you don't know...nice.

I do live in California (which you could have figured out if you would have followed our link) and pay all those same high taxes you do. I do think the government should help us and yes it is Christlike. Judging others...well not so much. I am informed about those who take advantage of the system...I will leave the judging of those people to you since you have that higher authority...thank goodness, I wouldn't want that responsibility. Fundamentally, I disagree with your opinion on most things, but unlike you I respect your beliefs, they make the world better and wards a bit more interesting.

Oh and about my remarks about the church...who was 'bagging'? I shared my personal experience and that is all. I really could care less if it scored a point in your book...you mean nothing to me.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Potter:

My most sincere appologies. I was not trying to be rude or judgemental...I am passionate about many of the same issues you are...but perhaps coming from a very, very different perspectives...not withstanding our similar life experiences. And although you obviously didn't mean any harm...your remarks to Craig and Carly came off as kind of a slam...which apparently mine did to you as well. Again...my appologies.

I agree the government should help us, but we clearly have hugely different ideas about how that should happen. Having lived in a coutry that provids socialized medicine, I don't believe that is anywhere close the answer for this country. And I still have to disagree that government legislation made by politicians be deemed "Christlike." The motives are too different.

And I absolutely respect your difference of opinion. I'm very fond of "agree to disagree."

So again...I my appolgies.

ede said...

This blog is sizzling !!!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, I think it's ridiculous that you felt the need to apologize multiple times to Franz. His remarks came off as hostile on a "friend's" blog. This is not Craig's blog, it's Carly's blog. And Carly is much more sensitive than Craig is. Anyone who knows the two of them knows this. Yes, she put this out on a public forum, but have some class. Closing his comments to you by saying "you mean nothing to me" is appalling.

Potters said...

My apologies to Carly if my remarks came off hostile that was certainly not my intent. I just thought it was interesting how an individual's experience shapes one's ideology...nothing more.

To the first anonymous, I appreciate your sentiments to agree to disagree and I apologize for sounding rude in my response.

It is indeed interesting that both of us share the experience of living in a socialized country. In England we had a wonderful experience with the NHS when our two year old developed scalded skin syndrome and Scarlett fever. She was in the hospital for a week and the total bill was only $12.00 for meds...that trama really shaped my outlook on socialized medicine. I know others who hated the NHS and chose to use private insurance there, but our experience was positive.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous #2...thank you for your support. As it IS my friend's blog, I didn't want to make for an akward situation with another friend.

Craig said...

Thank you all for your comments.

Potters, thanks for sharing your opinions BUT:

While we have been friends for many many years we have not spent that much time together in the past 14 years since we roomed together @ school. (those were the days) So many of your ASSUMPTIONS are just wrong.

We do not make over $250k and do stand to save some money under Obama.

I have worked two jobs.

We have a much greater knowledge and experience with the US health care system then 99% of people.

You also might recall we do have experience with Hospitals in England as well, and found them to be both expensive and very SUB PAR!

For anything to be Christlike it must be done FREELY.

So their is no doubt that we have had different life experience that have shaped our views, BUT I will not assume to know what your experience has been. This is what I think has upset people about your comments, your incorrect assumptions.

Also I did not find your comments personally offensive in this case, this has not always been the case with your comments.(review your comments last July 14th on your blog)

I would much prefer, and think it is much more persuasive, if you present your points from your own perspective, without assumptions, addressing the issues, without rhetoric and name calling.

I do understand that you are passionate and very involved in the health care issue, So are we!

Education is widely viewed as Sub Par in the US. I think you have ranted about it in the past. The current education system is socialist (Run by the Gov.). My fear is that Health Care would suffer the same fate if socialized.

Associates of mine in Canada admit that their system does sacrifice "quality of service" for "service for all". I would agree that our costs are too high and need reform, but this is a much more complicated issue than just socialist or free market.

Thanks again for taking the time to read and my apologies if my thoughts are not clear I'm not a cunning linguist, I'm a CPA.

mandy said...

Man a lot has happened on your blog since I last check!

Potters said...

Fair enough Craig...thanks for taking the time to respond...my assumptions were just that assumptions...it is true we drifted apart many years ago. Honestly I guess I still think of you as that stake dance kid and college roommate. I apologize for offending you in the past, I am truly sorry. Really we should take some time and become reacquainted with each other,goodness we only live an hour away.
Still your socialist friend,
Franz