Sunday, April 12, 2009

Tomatoes


Have you seen this comercial? Well- I thought they looked dreadful but liked the idea. Craig is ALWAYS a champ and a believer in my crazy ideas and dreams.

I love growing my own food- LOVE it- last year- thanks to my little bout of a strange cold that wouldn't go away- and then turned into pneumonia- I missed the whole planting season. I was really sad about that- so I am stoked that we already have this going! I wanted to try the whole upside down plant idea- I'd read some pretty cool things about them- and I liked the thought of not going outside daily to stake my tomato plants- so we got to it.

Not quite as ugly- not beautiful either- however, they will be totally beautiful when I want a fresh tomato and I open my sliding door walk 3 feet and pick one! Totally stoked!
I have 3 different tomato plants- 1 large orange heirloom, 1 cherry tomato heirloom, 1 roma tomato, 1 cucumber and a nice little herb pot!

My mom is in town this week and I am going to have her help me plant the rest of my garden. Our gardens growing up in Idaho were awesome. I totally took them for granted.

I've got E all excited to plant seeds and watch them grow. We've got:
pumpkins, beans, corn (could be interesting), peas, some more cucumbers (I figured out a few months ago that we spend about $40 bucks a month on cucumbers- E loves cucumbers- he eats them whole- funny guy.)- and some random bug repellent flowers to go around the garden.

And- can I say that Craig is AWESOME! I come up with the crazy idea and he helps me get it all together and make it work. I'll keep you all posted.

8 comments:

jillpill said...

I'm so impressed! I too have learned to love growing my own veggies. Good thing I have my dad to help! We've planted peas and onions already and I have tomato and peppers started in my house. Here's to this growing season! Good luck!

Evaly said...

Well, that's pretty cool! Wish we had a yard to plant stuff in- but who am I kidding- I don't have time to take care of a garden :)

Shelly said...

Hmmm - got to love garden tomatoes... we will be coming to visit!!

ede said...

I can't wait for a sample tomato.

Anonymous said...

I´m from Argentina. I found this blog through Diana Endrek´s.I grow my own veggies to, but this way is awesome! I want to try it.Which kind of bags did you use? Thanks and good luck!

Carly said...

I got these at IKEA for $2.95- so far so good. I wonder if they will last however- the hot sun combined with the water and the weight may ruin them sooner than later.- Good luck to you to!

Anonymous said...

Thank you ! I will try next spring

Angela said...

That is awesome. I am going to have to check into that. Love all the pictures. YOur little one is getting so big. WoW. He is so handsome! Hope all is well. Thinking of ya...