Thursday, August 04, 2011

Chick Lover




Our chicks are anything but chicks at this point.  Today Elliott asked me if they were "teenagers" now.  They are about double this size as I write this post- it's been so long.  We should have eggs in a month or so.  Time flies when you're having fun.  We spend so much time watching these crazy birds.
We've had quite the experiences with these little ladies.  I can't believe I like these birds.  I really do love them- well, most of the time.  I still don't love to hold them.  I LOVED holding them when they were little fluffy chicks.  Almost grown chicken holding is well, really, NOT comfortable.  Elliott is constantly asking me if I want to hold them.  It is so funny to me- he knows it's not my thing.  It is, however, his thing.  He is always to be found catching them and loving on them- it's hilarious.  He talks to them in a little voice and yells out "Giiiirrrrrls" when he walks outside.  Then they come running to see what he might have for them- when they see it's nothing they run away as fast as they can- once caught they succumb to the madness and loving that is Elliott.
My very favorite little chick (Butterscotch) was taken by a hawk, whilst we were upstairs.  It was a sad day.  I had to explain the circle of life and revenge all in one moment to E.  He said next time he "see's that hawk, I'm gonna shoot him down....".  A bit surreal to see a huge beautiful bird in your backyard exiting with one of your little baby chicks in it's claws!  Crazy, stinking bird.  
Anyway, I'll post some pictures of the coop when I get them.  Craig has done the BEST job on it- I am so proud of him.  He is so talented and so smart.  Along with multiple other perks- we never have to water the chicks, they are all hooked up to the sprinklers- it's rad- RAD.  What more can I say?

No comments: