Sunday, January 04, 2009

My Own Private Idaho Christmas

I forget how BEAUTIFUL Idaho is in the winter. Especially snow covered Idaho. I kept saying how beautiful it was- then I'd hear Elliott say at some random time "isn't it beautiful mom?" or "look how beautiful the snow is..." This was his first real experience with snow- I was worried a few weeks before we left that there would be no snow- but man, Idaho did not let us down! It was FREEZING for a few days but it was one of the most wonderful Christmases I have ever had- it really was perfect.








I had a really great friend growing up- Sarah. We have been friends for pretty much our whole lives. We had moments when we weren't as close as we had been at other times- but friends nonetheless. We were so lucky this last trip to Idaho to get to stay in their home. It felt a little like going home to me. When my family lived in the country (not so "country" anymore) we were neighbors and since my childhood home sold I have not really been back much. So- to get to stay out there and just look off the canyon again meant a lot to me. This is the view- perfect view. Thank you to my friends for giving us such a good Christmas gift.




Elliott was in heaven shoveling the driveway with Craig. It was so funny! Things that I used to hate we were all loving- okay, so I didn't shovel the snow myself but enjoyed them doing it for us!




This picture has a story- I was inside making breakfast or something and I hear E calling me- so I go to the door (knowing what was in store- the door is glass- I grabbed the camera) and I get pelted with a snow ball. Elliott was loving throwing the snow.




Christmas Eve- We hung our little stockings on the fireplace- man, E was so excited.




Elliott got what he had been asking for- for the last 3 months "a talking Optimus Prime"- he was thrilled. Optimus sits on the floor as I write this- he is totally over him!





My dad, his wife Sally, Craig and Elliott built a snow hill to sled and shovel down (yes, I said shovel- they would sit on the shovel and ride it down- hilarious!)- Elliott preferred just going down in his snow pants. These little grey snow pants were ours when we were kids.








Then Craig made us this rad snowman- one of the best I've seen- Thanks Craig-o.








This is my dad- Papa Mark. He and Elliott used this beauty to make the snow hill. I think Elliott was more excited to drive the tractor than the snow this day. As soon as he saw my dad he asked him where his tractor was. This tractor is one of his fondest memories of our trips to Idaho.










Ahh, yes, what would a trip to good ole Idaho be without a little gun shooting? It wouldn't be a fun trip at all.
Craig got a full auto Bebe gun for Christmas from- yes, yours truly. However, I am not that cool- he bought it for himself and we wrapped it- but the clay pigeon idea was mine! Elliott is quite a good little shot and I must admit I had a great time shooting it with them.










We went to check out the falls to see if all of the melting snow made any difference in the flow- not really but it was beautiful and E was too excited to leave. It was time to go and he gets all pouty and says "but, I want to play for awhile here- and have fun." There was a lot of coming and going- I think we wore the guy out.




This is my mom, Grandma Lee (E calls her Grandma Arlee). She was ready to do whatever we had planned- problem is we never had a plan because of the wedding (see post above)- until the last few days- then we had a plan.


I think the last two times I have left Idaho have been the saddest. I realize how important my family is to me- so much more than when I was young, single and without cares or worry. On the drive home we were talking about how we wish we were all closer and then we decided that it really isn't bad-they could live in Maine (thinking of far in the US) or another country- much further away. I will take a 12 hour drive anyday. I say we meet in Cedar City sometime- 1/2 way for both. What do you think everyone?

3 comments:

ede said...

I usually don't think Idaho and beauty in the same category, but I have changed my mind.

Kim G said...

What a beautiful day! I wish I could have been there. It would have been so much fun to see everyone. Hopefully we'll make it to Costa Mesa this spring or summer. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that first picture of you and Craig! I am going to print it & frame it. It's a keeper. He looks so thrilled!

Angela said...

Ah my Idaho friend!!!! LOVED seeing all your pictures and reading your blog. It was truly a treat, better that any book I could of picked up. Thanks for sharing so much. LOVE IT.
Hope all is well lotsa love angela