Sunday, April 06, 2008

Man's Best Friend



Let me start by saying- yes, I am crazy. My little one is a pet lover- a pet LOVER. So when asked if we could dog sit a little chihuahua for a week my first response was "No way, I don't want another little kid right now." Then I thought about what a week with little Billy would mean to Elliott - Craig and I decided it would be a great idea.

I had no idea that this week of all weeks would be the week I would get some sort of crazy sore throat that hurt when I spoke and holy hell was I needed to speak and yell a little bit too. Ouch.

Elliott was so into this dog- so into this dog that his ears were incapable of working. Craig and I couldn't believe how this was- it was crazy. I haven't had to repeat myself so much in Elliott's whole life as I have had to this week. I also feel like I have raised my stinking voice more this last week than I have EVER!!! AHHHHH!!! Elliott just couldn't listen- we would be sitting there trying to tell him that Billy's neck- you know- isn't for putting our hands around- then saying it again- then AGAIN LOUDER so that we were heard. It was crazy! Elliott was in love with Billy- so in love that poor Billy spent some serious time inside of his metal gate for his own safety. Seriously- what 3 year old understands all of the ins and outs of dog do's and don'ts?

Billy is an excellent dog- seriously such a good dog and so PATIENT with Elliott. More patient than I would expect a little dog to be- however- I don't want a dog- at least not right now.

LET ME REMINISCE-

Bear with me- I have only pet sat 2 times. This time and one other- (Brooke you will probably remember this...). We pet sat this cute little baby dachshund named Ruby for 1 a week or so a few years ago- before Elliott. I was still doing weddings at the time and had a big one that weekend we had her.

Craig and I were crazy busy loading all of the flowers into the cars- Craig was backing up his pickup and I was too busy thinking about what all still needed to be loaded- which was still quite a bit and I was starting to wonder if we were going to be able to get them all into the cars.

Anyway- while backing up poor dear Ruby got ran over- right over her belly and back. Oh man! I panicked- I thought we had just killed this brand new dog.

We had to be at a wedding right then- I am sobbing holding Ruby as Craig runs to our tenants house to see where we could take her (she is a total pet girl)- she (Amy- I still owe you for this...) takes Ruby right to her vet and we head off to do the wedding.

I sobbed the whole day- Poor Craig was sad too- we were sure that we had done some serious damage to this little thing.

Anyway- finished the wedding and headed home to find out what was up with Ruby. TOTAL MIRACLE- I really couldn't have handled it if we had killed this dog- there was way too much going on in my life at the time to have this too. She was totally okay- a pinched nerve in her back and she was FINE. I saw that truck go right over her- it should have killled the little 3 pound dog.

I think I might just be done with pet sitting. One day E will have a dog. I have no doubt in my mind- man's best friend right?

7 comments:

ede said...

I did get to see first hand how much 'loving' attention billy received.
lucky dog.

jennifer said...

Dogs are so great.... but they are a lot of work. And perhaps its not great for the dog when the kids are so little... Haha! Avery has a little dog too, and the poor things gets dragged around by his leash everywhere with this look of "help me!" on his face. He seems to be very patient with her though and she loves her dog very much.

mcwally said...

ok, so it's probably not funny to you... but i am busting-up reading about your dog adventures.

andy has made it very clear to the kids that 'MOM is allergic' so we can't get one. it's true... so we'll just enjoy your dog adventures!

Brooke said...

I have to say that Ruby today at 5 years old has never suffered from her injuries! and whenever she sees carly - which is like once a year or so at my moms house... she freaks out with excitement. so obviously you have a huge place in her heart.
As far as little dogs and little kids... Ruby is awesome with Joshua and Luke - and they have learned to be more gentle with her - well at least Joshua has. But she is not awesome with other little kids - she would definitely snap at them. I think the best family dog for kids is a golden retriever. not good if you're allergic - but awesome for kids.

Qwendykay said...

You pet sat for Sandy.. didn't you for a day?

When there are puppies or little dogs around, my children NEVER EVER listen to me... In fact N & AK chased a chihuaha right into the street on Saturday. If E, ever needs some dog time... come over, Sandy & Skoopi are soooo good with kids. Sandy & N are joined at the hip!

Evaly said...

I'm totally lol! I am not a pet person, but I'm sure someday we'll have to give in to our kids' begging. We won't be asking you to pet-sit :)

Scott and Amy said...

billy totally misses elliot... thank you for watching him for us. i am rather greatful that he didn't get run over but i bet billy would have lived, he has scott and i as parents. ha ha ha. your awesome maybe billy and i can come over and go on a walk with you and elliot. what do you say?