Monday, July 14, 2008

Serious thoughts...

So seldom do I ever really say how I feel about a certain topic on my blog- especially politics. I do not profess to be any type of scholar or even that politically savvy- hardly politically savvy at all actually.

However, I do have some issues as of late. There is a thing called PARTIAL BIRTH ABORTION it is terrible/horrific- many other things- but completely WRONG.

If your votes sway toward Obama- I will tell you now that I think you are wrong. Sorry to say it but there are a few things that I refuse to support in a candidate- this being one of them. He is all about a womans "right" to choose. Well- read to see what partial birth abortion is and decide for yourself if you can support a candidate that supports something as wrong as partial birth abortion.

Yes, you may say- what about for the saftey of the mother?- certain circumstances? At what point do we decide it is our right to play God? It is never our right. Shame on Obama.

10 comments:

melissabastow said...

I followed your link and read up on that - - it is horrible. I don't understand who could ever justify any kind of abortion, let alone a partial birth one. And what kind of Dr would be ok with cramming scissors into a baby's brain and sucking it out...while holding the actual baby in his hands? They would have to be heartless. As would the pregnant woman (I first typed "mother" instead, but no mother would ever even consider doing that.) Thank you for the enlightenment - not that I was going to vote for Obama anyway, but now I think my decision is even more made up!

Potters said...

As an ardent Obama support I have to disagree...what else would Craig expect? Obama did vote against this bill because it did not protect the life of the mother. I just cannot agree with your statement "Yes, you may say- what about for the saftey of the mother?- certain circumstances? At what point do we decide it is our right to play God? It is never our right." The church does tell us it is our right to decide when the life of the mother is at stake. It is a horrible choice that the family and the doctor have to make....I think at this point we do play god. Fundamentally, I can never vote for someone who tells me that my wife's life is less important than an unborn baby. It simply is not. While I understand morality issues such as abortion influence how we vote for a president I don't think it should be the only one...if it so war is immoral and we should stop that as well. Just a thought.

Anyhow, thanks for shaking things up on the blog...we need these little jolts. Family, family...wham...politics....family.Nice!

We still hope you all will come and visit us soon even if we are Obama supports;)

Franz

Brooke said...

I totally agree with you carly. it is just SO disturbing.

Craig said...

Sorry Franz no visits to you Obama supporters. I'm not sure when we could come anyway, from reading your blog it seems like you have people up almost every weekend as it is.

Ok on to the good stuff:

Did you read any of the stuff Carly linked to?

"I would dispute any statement that this is the safest procedure to use. The procedure can cause amniotic fluid embolism or placental abruption."

"Drawing out the baby in breech position is a very dangerous procedure and could tear the uterus. Such a ruptured uterus could cause the mother to bleed to death in ten minutes."

"There is no literature that testifies to the safety of partial birth abortions."

As I understand it and please correct me if I'm wrong (as everyone knows I'm allmost a Doctor), How does Partial Birth abortion save the mother is any way? It does not save her from giving birth, from a 9 month pregnancy, or from any of the BAD side affects of getting pregnant EXCEPT for having a child when its all done (IF you can call that bad).

So please explain ONE situation where this could save a mothers life, where C-section or early term abortion could not.

OK Carly back to you.

Serena Potter said...

Yes, partial birth abortion is disturbing, but you do not have to support it to be a democrat. Republicans are too all or nothing on this issue. It is not the government's place to decide what is best for the health of a mother and child. That decision needs to be made by her, her doctor, and if religious, god. Check out Harry Reed's track record on Abortion http://www.govote.com/Senate/Harry_Reid.htm He is our top Democratic leader - and good LDS. If you look at his voting record you will see that he has voted against partial birth abortion but has also made sure to leave room for the mother's health and exceptional cases for abortion.(also the church's stance) I know several LDS women who have had abortions because of serious issues - major deformities in the child, mother's life at risk. It isn't your place to decide for someone else. Would you really risk our economy, the lives of our military abroad, the future of our health care system (don't tell me you think health care is a priviledge, not a right), our environment and education all for one issue? Obama is the only hope we have.

Stephanie said...

This post was fun to read...Thanks for giving me an interesting read this morning.

Craig said...

Serena,

No one in this conversation said we should ban all abortions,(that I have seen).

You have introduced a Straw Man argument to change the focus from Partial Birth Abortion to other things (Health Care, War, Global Warming, The Economy etc.)

But YES their are some issues that I am not flexible on.

Murder, Child Abuse, 2nd amendment

But I agree with you this November we can NOT risk our economy, the lives of our military abroad, the future of our health care system, our environment and education system By voting for a Democrat. :-)

Potters said...

Politics aside would still love to see you guys. MaCall goes to Europe in a week or so, but August is quiet for us. Anyhow, hopefully we can still be friends just with differing opinions.
Franz

Craig said...

Franz,

I'm mildly offended that you even question our friendship in this manner.

Craig

mcwally said...

i LOVE the banter!!! way to stir things up carly -- and expose your husband for the blog-reading man he is! :)